Hello

Anything got to do with solar thats off grid. No matter how big or small.

Hello

Postby Molly » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi, I've come to this forum to seek advice from folks who might want to give it. I've asked people in solar businesses about my query and I am not getting very far. All I want to do is change my shower room ceiling extractor fan from a normal electrical supply to solar. I can't imagine it's difficult for you chaps but I know nothing at all about any of this. What I imagine is a small solar panel on the roof, connected to some sort of battery (I told you i know nothing), and connected then to the fan. I've been told there are roof ventilation fan systems but they are bulky and I just want one that has a solar panel, battery and fan. No extra housing, no ducting, no complications. Is this possible? Can anyone tell me simply and clearly what I would need to set this up, please? Sorry if I've offended anyone by being a bit thick and wasting your time but I just can't get anyone out there in the business sector to help me. Thanks.
Molly

Re: Hello

Postby Dave_Gorman » Fri May 04, 2012 8:52 pm

It's not just as simple as wiring up a solar panel to your existing fan I'm afraid. The fan in your shower room most likely runs on 220V AC power. A solar panel will put out somewhere between 10 and 30 volts DC power, depending on how sunny it is.

*if* you can find a reliable and very well made fan which will tolerate those voltages and not burn out, you could simply smash open the housing of your existing fan, replace it, then stick a solar panel on your roof and run some wires down to it. Simple.

However the fan would only spin when the sun was shining directly on it, and at varying speeds depending on how bright it was. Your shower room would quickly go mouldy as the moisture would almost never be extracted.

The better, but somewhat more expensive, option would be to have the solar panel mounted on an automatic tracking device, basically some motors and a swivelling turntable which follows the sun. Then, the panel would feed a battery charging system, some complex electronics which regulate the flow of energy and use it to charge a battery.

"all" you need to to then is wire up an AC inverter to that battery, and plug your fan into that rather than the mains. Since the power would be stored in the battery, it would be "on demand", so you could run the fan even at night. If you ran the fan too long it would drain the battery, so you should probably make sure it's a nice big one.

All of this would probably end up costing you hundreds if not thousands, so you'd have to question is it really worth it.
Dave_Gorman

Re: Hello

Postby Molly » Sat May 05, 2012 2:29 am

I understand now why it is not viable. Many thanks, Dave, for your clear explanation. I never understood why this technology wasn't more readily available for all of the smaller electrical needs in the household but I see there is still quite a way to go before we are all hooking up to it. Technology is moving fast, so I don't suppose it will take long before we all have easy access to a cheaper power solution and I hope I'm around to see it happen. I very much appreciated your reply to my query, sometimes we can still meet truly nice people and I think I just did. Thanks.
Molly

Return to Solar Setups. Battery or other.