Final Year Project

Building anything you consider high-tech?? Post it here, let us drool over it.

Final Year Project

Postby amzi » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi
My name is Anand nd currently doin my final year in EE. I've decided to do my final year project in the solar field. I think i'll b doin it in MPPT but i don know as wher to start. Can u ppl plz provide me a circuit design of a MPPT? what r d components we need in its design? d MPPT circuit control must be based on microprocessor control. I'm also planning to add the invertr circuit to d solar output. how would u design an inverter circuit for a solar cell? if ther's any such circuit diagram for it plz provide me.

ps- If u hav any other project topics on solar, plz suggest me, I'll b really grateful

Regards
Anand
amzi

Re: Final Year Project

Postby TonyB » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:37 am

Hi, a MPPT would be a great project.
Are you aiming for a DC output or an AC output??

If you want a DC output, the type of converter you will use will depend on your output voltage, ie, if you need a higher output voltage than your solar panel can handle, you will need to use a boost converter.

The mppt will consist of 2 parts. The micro controller used for regulation, and the power stage (DC-DC converter).
-TonyB
TonyB

Postby TonyB » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:38 am

Also, what sort of output voltage and power does your solar panel have???
-TonyB
TonyB

Postby amzi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:57 am

Hi Tony
Thanks for replyin.Actually I got a circuit for DC output and a microcontroller based control circuit. But I'm plannin to Change d circuit a bit. Instead of d DC-DC converter I'm goin to insert d PWM Inverter. My problem is I'm new to this Solar Power topics and I'm not in a position to design a inverter circuit for PV's... How would a normal PV cell with a Inverter look like? I mean d ratings and d inverter configuration(With firing circuit). Can u provide me Any links to such circuits... My output power/voltage is not high. Its enough if i Jus light a lamp.Its d inverter design nd d control circuit that matters... Hope I'm clear......'ll give a more detailed description of my project by this weekend...

Regards
Anand.
amzi

Postby amt312 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:18 am

hi,
i'm doing engineering in TE E&TC.i had done a project on MPPT for photovoltaic arrays in TE as mini project.
i had designed dc to dc converter.may b i can send u all the details if u havn't found anything yet.
But for my BE i would like to do a project based on solar only.So if u have any different idea or anything new plzzz send the details.....
amt312

Postby just4urj » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:06 pm

hi am planning to do a solar tracker as my project,and i would like sum advice on it..can anybody help.

i was thinking of setting up a tracker that follows d moment of d sun rather dan using a RTC to just time the movement of d panel.my design consist of a few LDR's used for sensing the sunlight den a ADC converter just in case and a micro controller which controls the movement of a stepper motor that in turn moves the solar panel according to the movement of the sun.

i searched the net and found a few kts using MPPT.but i wud like to keep my pjt simple.can i use a mc of 8051 family rather dan go behind pic Mc's??if so wat shud be the programming needed and how many sensors can i implement.Am so confused abt all these facts.Can any one guide me through dis.
my email id is rnj.143@gmail.com.plz do help me out if u have any ideas!!!
just4urj

Postby mehar » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:29 am

I am also new in the field of MPPT and want to share the knowledge achieved till now after consulting different sources. If you want to do final year project on this topic you have to go through following stages:

Current & Voltage Sensor
Develop a Current and Voltage sensor first. this will measure the value of the I-V for finding the peak power point over which panels has to operate. In initial phases you will find MPP using multimeter but you have to develop these sensor in order to deploy at the site where they will be used to provide V-I values to micro controller for MPP calculations.

Charging Method
after this you have to find out the methods of charging batteries. There are different algorithms like obeservation and perturbation algorithms, trans conductance method etc. you can have a good detail if you search differnt charging methods of battery. and you have to analyze what algorithm will be suitable for your application. you also have to see that weather you need a current controlled or voltage controlled charging.

MPPT
after that analysis you will be able to start designing of your MPPT. the values achieved from the Current and voltage sensors will be used by micro-controller and MPP will be detected by micro controller which will be programmed as per the selected battery charging algorithm. the micro controller will also control the DC to DC converter to have a MPP. your panel and battery voltage will decide what type of the DC to DC converter you have to use.

(its my own findings for MPPT after reading different sources. Obviously it requires expert opinions and discussion)
mehar

Return to Tech Projects